Friday, January 2, 2015

Scary New Year!!!



New Year has always been special, fun filled. Last year I enjoyed with my little girl, and at evening, went to the park and then for a dinner with my better half. The year before was even more fun filled, as it was associated with the house warming of my Uncle’s new house. We all cousins and kins had a real good time.
This year too it was special, adventurous, more precisely scary…
My New Year rituals include a temple visit, which I never missed. Even while in Japan I remember having gone to some Zen temple. This year too, I planned to go with my girl. Along with New Year it was also Vaikuntha Ekadasi, a very auspicious day for Hindus. So By 10 15 my husband on his way to office, gave a ring and told, it’s too crowded and the queue to enter temple is stretched till the bus stop. I thought will go by eve.  Had a sumptuous meal- Chicken Biriyani… Me and Janvi enjoyed it with raita. Then had a short but sound nap… Around 4 30 she woke up and woke me up too… We were hungry, ate some biscuits, had cakes and we were thinking of what next and just kept watching cartoons. By 5 30, I told her to get ready for temple… She was excited… I gave her a shorts and T shirt. She was completely annoyed and started crying for her paavadai… (Full Skirt and Blouse). I literally got irritated. I knew it will be difficult for me to walk around with her in Skirts. But she was stubborn. I dressed up and tried compromising with her. She didn’t give up. So I had to keep searching.
In the meantime my husband reached and he too put his hands for the search. Finally we succeeded in finding her favorite set of clothes. So by around 6, I and Janvi started for temple. We left for the temple in my two-wheeler. She was all excited that as soon as I parked, she got down lifted her skirts and started walking. We were surprised to see the crowd. I lifted her and stood in the queue. In another 10-15 minutes, we could get inside the temple. It was crowded inside. We moved along with the crowd. Somehow managed to get the prasadam (holy offerings); both of us gave our offerings and came out. She was happy to have received Tulsi leaves and sandal paste bindi. We were about to go back home when she insisted me to go back to the temple and sit for some time. She wanted to spread her flared skirts and enjoy. So we sat for around 5-10 minutes and then we started back. Then came the toy seller who aims at each and every kid coming to temple. She refused to come with me. She wanted a Chotta Bheem balloon. I had only 20 ₹ with me and I was persuading her to come along, she didn’t even bother to listen. I had to go with her and asked the vendor to give me a balloon. She was somehow happy that she got a Red Balloon.  
We wore our slippers and instead of taking a roundabout of the temple to come out, I took a quicker way, but had to cross some concrete pillars. While crossing them I happened to look onto a biker and saw him looking at me as well. I thought just a coincidence as it happens with everyone. Janvi wanted to walk, so I held her hands and let her walk. She was very careful with her steps. While going towards the parking, I saw the same bikers having stopped a little forward. The one behind was speaking over phone and the one in front was staring at me. I ignored thinking a New Year eve teasing. We went over to our vehicle, Janvi occupied her position and then we started. I was a little irritated to see that bikers over there. When I crossed past them, they started their vehicle as well. Now I was literally scared and confused. I thought I just felt someone is following me, after all I never thought people will hurt a 3 year old kid. I put on my indicator to take the right turn, fearing in case they increase their speed, I shouldn’t collide with them. I increased my speed, but Janvi started shouting as her balloon was flying off. So I reduced the speed to 20s… They were still following me with the same speed; we drove for around 300 meters. I had to take a sharp left turn, but this time however I didn’t want to put indicators. However, they still followed me. I was very much scared by now. When there were few people on the street and there was a speed breaker, I completely slowed down. I expected that the bikers will overtake me and they did. I was so relieved and for a moment I felt bad for having suspected them. They had gone away from my vicinity.
I maintained the same speed; the road too was not that great. Finally when it reached somewhere near my flat I was completely shocked. The particular street that leads to our apartment does not have a street light. I was completely dark. The adjacent lane has street lights, but there were teak trees (around 100 of them) in between the roads, that keep the other street complete dark. The guys had stopped their vehicle perpendicular to the road, blocking me from entering the road. I felt scared. Still I put the indicator and took a turn. All of a sudden the guy sitting behind got down and tried snatching my chain. I was expecting something of this kind. Somehow I managed to hold my neck in one hands and cuddle Janvi with other hands, and we both fell down. We had fell onto dried grass, and she fell onto me. Even when the guy approached us, Janvi was crying very badly, even I was howling mad, completely scared out of the situation. Hearing our cries, they guys sped away. I was wearing a collared dress that prevented them from snatching the chain. But I still have got the scratch marks on my neck and it’s painful. After getting up, I asked Janvi if she was alright. She was completely fine, but was wondering why they pushed us. My vehicle was still lying over the grass. I was shivering and iced and didn’t have the slightest courage to lift the vehicle. I had kept my phone in a small bag hooked to my vehicle.  I quickly made a call to my husband and asked him to come down. Before he came, a car with a political party’s flag came and stopped nearby. I stepped back. I was completely scared. He told me not to get scared, n asked what actually happened. He lifted my vehicle, told me he’s a local in that area, and needn’t worry at all. I explained him what happened. He waited for my husband to come. They spoke for some time, and he told that he personally knows the ward councilor and he will speak to him about the street light once again, which they have been requesting for a long time.
My husband asked me to take the vehicle home and told he will come with Janvi. I didn’t have the courage to start the vehicle, but didn’t have any other way, Janvi was completely shaken, and I dint want to walk alone with in dark. I came in and told my security of what happened. I could see my security from the spot, but he didn’t even realize that something happened, because it was at most dark.
By the time my husband reached the apartment gate, our neighbor with his family was there. He told him the happenings and they went to the police station. After sometime they came back with a constable. She enquired on what happened, if I can recognize them and if I noted the vehicle number. I didn’t see any of those. However I can recognize him in any crowd. I was hurt that bad.
Hundred thanks to neighbor Saumya who gave me and my daughter company when my husband was away to the station. Janvi was quite OK after she started playing with Tanvi. Usually we go for a happy New Year dinner and that also had to be dropped because of these idiots. We planned to get parcel for dinner. My husband asked my little girl if she wanted to accompany him for getting it. She refused blankly saying, the uncle wearing green T shirt will come to push me down. I won’t come. I was very much scared if she would be affected badly. But she’s recovering. I couldn’t sleep properly yesterday. Was in full fear, the scene of the guy trying to snatch away my chain was keeping on flashing resisting me from sleeping.
I had bruises all over my legs, feet, knees, wrist, shoulder, and scratches on neck. Even had few blood clots spread over thigh. But my little angel didn’t even get a single scratch! I thank God for it. 

I hope with time, I will get back to normal. And this was also a caution to all other ladies over there who takes that path to grocery shop and early morning walks over there. I was completely scared and my whole body was terribly paining that I too had to compromise on my today’s morning walk. I just thank God that he helped me out and prevented anything further bad from happening. Many other things too could have taken place. They could have attempted robbery even after I fell down. They could have kidnapped my daughter; they could have raped or even killed me. One million thanks to God, the almighty for keeping us safe and sound.


No comments: